The National Service Scheme was started in Jijamata Mahavidyalaya Buldhana in 1970 under S.G.B. Amravati University, Amravati. The Unit has capacity of 150 volunteers and legacy of glorious past of fifty years with spectrum of achievements. The NSS is part of our academic, social and personal life as it is the third dimension of education. It allows the students to actively contribute their services for the cause of community and the nation, thus helping them develop their personality. Service and attain the traits of a leader of the nation. As such, the NSS is the right platform, where the student- youth of the nation may get to involve with real-life social activities, and thereby become responsible citizen of India.
This reflects the essence of democratic living and upholds the need for selfless service and appreciation of the other person's point of view and also to show consideration for fellow human beings. It underlines that the welfare of an individual is ultimately dependent on the welfare of society on the whole. Therefore, it should be the aims of the NSS to demonstrate this motto in its day-to-day programs.
To groom academic, social and personal life of the students and explore opportunities of betterment of the community and the nation.
The main objectives of National Service Scheme (NSS) are:
1. To understand the community in which they work
2. To understand themselves in relation to their community.
3. To identify the needs and problems of the community and involve them in problem-solving
4. To develop among themselves a sense of social and civic responsibility
5. To utilize their knowledge in finding practical solutions to individual and community problems
6. To develop competence required for group-living and sharing of responsibilities
7. To gain skills in mobilizing community participation
8. To acquire leadership qualities and democratic attitudes
9. To develop capacity to meet emergencies and natural disasters and
10. To practice national integration and social harmony